Nepa Ltd was incorporated as a private enterprise on 26th January 1947 by M/S Nair Press Syndicate Limited under the name of “THE NATIONAL NEWSPRINT AND PAPER MILLS LIMITED’ for production of Newsprint and was the sole Newsprint-manufacturing unit in India up to 1981.
The management of the Company was taken over in October 1949 by the then State Government of Central Province and Berar (at present Madhya Pradesh).
Commercial production started on Paper machine No. 1 of “Pussy and Jones” of USA with installed capacity of 30,000 TPA and the mill dedicated to the Nation by Late Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru the first Prime Minister of India on 26.04.1956.
Government of India took over controlling interest.
Certificate of Honour presented by the President of India for achieving installed capacity and for satisfactory performance.
Paper machine No. 2 (Capacity 37,500 TPA) “Wartsila” of Finland commissioned on 27.03.1969, increasing the the installed capacity to 67,500 TPA.
Chandni Thermal power station, Nepanagar purchased from MPEB at cost of 1.50 Cr.
1. Company‘s name changed to “NEPA LIMITED” from 21.02.1989.
2. New power House boiler (75TPH) and 12.27 MW TG commissioned in March, 1989.
3. Paper Machine No. 1 renovated by Beloit UK and re-commissioned in November, 1989 increasing its capacity to 50,500 TPA.
4. Overall mill capacity of both the Paper Machine increased to 88,000 TPA.
Achieved all time record of Newsprint production of 75,512 MT and registered highest profit of Rs. 14.32 Cr. During 1991-92.
Started manufacturing 49 GSM Newsprint from April, 1992.
Pink Newsprint introduced in the market.
The Mill had completely stopped in August 1996 due disconnection of HT Grid supply by MP State Electricity Board.
1. The production was restarted in March 1997 in an innovative way using eco-friendly technology (Recovered Paper
as 100% raw material) and with captive power generation. with Captive power, without having De-inking plant (DIP)
which was necessary to recover ink from waste paper.
2. Introduced first time in India 44 GSM Newsprint from April, 1997.
3. Low grammage (20-40 GSM) Directory Printing Paper introduced in the market from December, 1997.